CANTALA WOMEN’S CHOIR
RICH CHORAL SOUND. EMOTIONALLY-DRIVEN REPERTOIRE. MUSICALLY CAPTIVATING.
NOW accepting JANUARY 2013 auditions
What is the Cantala Women’s Choir?
Founded in 2008, the Cantala Women’s Choir is a fresh new group with growing roots in the Toronto choral community. Cantala is committed to performing diverse Canadian and world choral music at the highest professional level from baroque, classical and modern eras.
Who is in the Cantala Women’s Choir?
The Choir consists of emerging music professionals and amateur singers from all walks of life.
The Cantala singer:
– is a leader
– reads music well, with a desire to work towards strong sight reading and rhythm skills
– might have previous singing experience in a choral group or as a soloist
– is eager to learn in a friendly atmosphere, strive for excellence, and initiate their own learning between rehearsals
Who leads the Cantala Women’s Choir?
With training and experience in singing and vocal pedagogy, Nancy Singla brings a unique approach and knowledge to choral singing. In addition to the importance of understanding and teaching how to sing, she believes in encouraging the development of the soloist within the choral sound.
Why is the Cantala Women’s Choir Different?
Unique to Cantala is the opportunity to sing SATB repertoire with the Cantala Chamber Ensemble in addition to treble literature in special projects during the year. Carefully chosen choral repertoire with harmonic richness and surprise, melodic beauty and meaningful poetry makes singing in Cantala an inspirational musical experience.
If you would like to audition for the Cantala Women’s Choir (lasting approximately 30 minutes), please be prepared to:
– discuss your musical background
– sing a piece of your choice
– sight-read a simple melody
– clap and count a rhythmic exercise