* Please note that the deadline for this listing has now passed *
Necessary Angel Theatre is seeking applications for the position of Artistic Director
Necessary Angel is undertaking the pivotal task of identifying its next Artistic Director. Our past achievements provide solid footing from which to propel ourselves forward. Our new Artistic Director will provide us with the leadership necessary to shape that future. The outcome of the search process will not only help to plot Necessary Angel’s future trajectory, but also bring form to our vision; exploring the theatrical arts through original work that challenges assumptions and engages multiple points of view.
POSITION: Artistic Director
LOCATION: Toronto, Ontario
REPORTS TO: Board of Directors
ORGANIZATION WEBSITE: www.necessaryangel.com/ADsearch
THE ORGANIZATION: Necessary Angel Theatre Company is dedicated to fully exploring the theatrical arts by creating original work that challenges assumptions and engages multiple points of view, while seeking to provoke and astonish. Having produced over 50 productions, including 25 world premieres and 10 North American premieres, the company is considered to be one of English Canada’s most important original creation and touring organizations.
THE POSITION: Reporting directly to the Board of Directors, the Artistic Director is responsible for providing the artistic vision. In partnership with the GM, the AD will determine and oversee the implementation of the artistic vision of the Company. This is a full time position with an appointment for a three year term.
1. Artistic Direction
- Articulating an inspiring and achievable long-term creative vision for the Company
- Fostering and encouraging the continued growth and development of artistic excellence within the Company
- Participating with the Board and staff in short and long term planning
- Selecting a season of varied plays and new play development which fulfills the Company’s mandate with appropriate budgets, scheduling, venue selection and length of run
- Collaborating with fellow artists in the community to identify new sources of programming
- Auditioning, interviewing and selecting all artistic personnel including, but not limited to, actors, designers, composers, musicians and stage management as appropriate
- Keeping abreast of theatre trends and activities locally, nationally and internationally.
- Developing and nurturing partnerships with other organizations and companies to broaden opportunities for collaboration?
2. Administrative Direction
- In conjunction with the General Manager:
- preparing annual budget and grant applications for all funding bodies and presenting them to the Board for approval
- managing the theatrical season within approved budgets
- managing the long ranges goals of the Company with fiscal responsibility
- adhering to contracts and deadlines
- Preparing the Artistic Director’s report for presentation at each board meeting and for the Annual Report ?
3. Public Relations
- As the public face of the Company, perform the role of ambassador in all areas of public engagement such as;
- Donors (corporate and individual), foundations and funding agencies
- Attending press conferences and interviews with the media and other interest groups
- Representing the Company with PACT and national, provincial and municipal service organizations and other outside groups
- Meeting regularly with other theatre companies and cultural groups for mutual benefit ?
4. Funding and Fundraising
- Assisting with funding planning and execution in conjunction with the Board of Directors and the General Manager and Director of Development
- Liaising with funding agencies and identifying goals and articulating a vision in order to encourage and maintain their support
- Meeting with key personnel from granting bodies, foundations, corporations and individual donors as appropriate to gain support
- Communicating with donors and subscribers throughout the season and soliciting their continued support
5. Liaison with Board of Directors
- Presenting to the Board of Directors for their approval:
- a list of goals, objectives and work plans for forthcoming seasons
- individual season proposals prior to grant applications being submitted
- Presenting evaluation reports to the Board of Directors regarding:
- the degree to which the short and long term artistic goals and objectives are met
- current Company operations (in conjunction with the General Manager)
- Each production within 30 days of the production’s conclusion
- Specific projects as agreed with the Board of Directors
COMPENSATION : A competitive compensation package that will be commensurate with experience, including salary, benefits and vacation will be provided.
HOW TO APPLY: Please send your covering letter and CV c/o NATC Search Committee to firstname.lastname@example.org The deadline to apply is:
Monday December 10, 2012 at noon.
We thank all those who express interest, however only those advancing in the process will be contacted.
Detailed position description and application instructions may be found at: http://www.necessaryangel.com/ADsearch/