* Please note that the deadline for this listing has now passed *
Puente Theatre Society, Victoria, BC
Since its inception in 1988, Puente Theatre Society’s mission has been the promotion of multiculturalism and diversity in the performing arts. Puente means “bridge” in Spanish, and our mandate is to use theatrical experience as a bridge between cultures. Our programs’ primary objective is to promote cross-cultural communication in the performing arts and to engage and build communities that encourage a vision of Canada based on the values of equality and mutual respect regardless of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, or any other aspect of the human condition.
Puente Theatre Society was founded in 1988 by Chilean-born director Lina de Guevara, an immigrant to Canada, out of her own need to tell her story through theatre, and to connect with the arts in her new home. Last year Lina de Guevara retired from the company after a long and industrious career in order to pursue other interests and to keep developing her career as an artist. Mexican-born multi-disciplinary artist, Mercedes Bátiz-Benét, was hired as the new Artistic Director.
Job Description – General Manager
The General Manager works alongside the Artistic Director, and is responsible to the Board of Directors. The General Manager ensures that the Theatre’s financial and administrative infrastructures operate smoothly and efficiently to support the Artistic Director in achieving the Theatre’s artistic goals and objectives. Primary responsibilities include the leadership and direction of the Theatre’s administration, budgeting and the financial well-being of all operations, human resources, audience development, fundraising, fund development, and to provide professional support to the Board of Directors.
The successful candidate will have a passion for and belief in the work of Puente Theatre, and in the promotion of multiculturalism and diversity in the performing arts, strong administrative and financial management experience in the performing arts or comparable experience in a Not for Profit organization, excellent communication and organizational skills, and an enthusiastic, dynamic, and team-player attitude.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the Theatre;
- Jointly with the Artistic Director, identify potential sources of funding, and prepare all grant and foundation applications;
- Report to government agencies as required and manage all other communications with government agencies and contacts concerning Theatre operations;
- Jointly with the Artistic Director, develop annual budgets;
- Supervise all financial matters, transactions and reporting, including:
- the issuance of cheques;
- conducting of banking business;
- cash flow;
- cash management (including cash floats) and financial assets;
- accounts payable and receivable;
- payroll, and maintenance and issuance of employee records and all related government forms and filings;
- issuance of tax receipts;
- preparation of monthly and annual financial statements;
- Monitor and control revenues and expenditures to ensure that approved budgetary guidelines are maintained;
- Manage staff, marketing, public relations, fundraising, Board of Directors liaisons, front of house, box office, and venue negotiations;
- In consultation with the Artistic Director, negotiate agreements with unions and professional associations
- In consultation with the Artistic Director, negotiate and enter into agreements and contracts on behalf of the Theatre, including:
- artistic and technical personnel selected by the Artistic Director;
- insurance coverage;
- service agreements on equipment;
- obtaining of rights;
- Manage all administrative aspects of the Theatre’s operations and programs;
- Develop fundraising strategies and programs;
- Ensure the Theatre’s compliance with federal, provincial, and municipal legislation and regulations;
- Supervise communications with the media and the public, act as media spokesperson as required;
- Represent Puente Theatre in the community, with PACT, and with any other organization as required;
- Maintain contact with other similar organizations in Canada and abroad;
- Attend Board meetings and provide a report to the Board of Directors;
- When appropriate, attend meetings of Board committees;
- Participate with the Artistic Director and the Board of Directors in long-term strategic planning, including the creation of long-term financial and administrative goals and objectives;
- Implement and evaluate long-term financial and administrative goals and objectives.
This is a part-time position, and salary is commensurate with experience. The position demands variable hours including some weekends and evenings. Knowledge of another culture, language and/or of the immigrant experience is definitely an asset, but is not required to fill this position.
Please reply with a letter of intent, résumé, and three letters of support to email@example.com no later than August 31st.
We thank all applicants, but only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Closing Date: August 31, 2012
Starting Date: September 15, 2012