JOB: Artistic Director of the English Section – National Theatre School of Canada (Montreal, Quebec)
Established in Montreal in 1960, the National Theatre School of Canada (NTS) is a not-for-profit registered charity and a co-lingual institution that offers professional training in English and in French.
Committed to the training of actors, designers, playwrights, directors and production specialists, the NTS prepares its students to meet the artistic, cultural, and technological challenges of a successful profession in Theatre and more broadly in the Performing Arts.
The NTS is supported by the Government of Canada as well as by provincial governments. The NTS also generates its own revenue and private donations are sought for additional program funding.
The NTS — a hub of intense and flourishing creative and practical activity — is providing its carefully selected students with access to a wide range of approaches, work methods and expertise.
The Artistic Director of the English Section is responsible for the overall artistic and pedagogical orientation, coherence and well-functioning of the Section in accordance with the general orientations of the School, as outlined in its Strategic and Business Plans.
More specifically, he/she defines the content, determines the activities and selects the students and faculty of the Acting program
He/She is also the spokesperson for the NTS to the English theatre community and is a major contributor to the implementation of the communication strategy of the School.
Reporting to the CEO, the Artistic Director of the English Section works collaboratively with the Artistic Director of the French Section and the Administrative Director of the School. He/She is a member of the Management Committee and of the Coordination Committee.
Description of Responsibilities
The Artistic Director of the English Section:
- Is responsible for the overall coherence and optimal synergy of the Acting, Playwriting, Production, Directing and Design programs;
- Participates in the selection process of the program directors of the English Section;
- Within the Acting program, sets the content (curriculum), the schedules and the organizational aspects (staffing, budget management) while other directors within the English Section are responsible to do the same with their respective programs;
- Is responsible for the selection of candidates for the Acting program within the national audition tour, and is also responsible for the evaluation of students’ progress in Acting, according to the School’s evaluation policy;
- Actively participates in course instruction and project implementation according to the program’s and Section’s needs;
- Provides reports concerning the Section and the Acting program at the request of the CEO;
- Actively participates in communication and fundraising initiatives and events organized by the School;
- Can accept other professional engagements during the school year on the condition that these engagements are not in conflict with the well-functioning of the Acting program. He/She must, in each case, review with and get approval from the CEO prior to accepting other engagements;
- Assumes all additional tasks related to this position
The successful candidate will be a well-respected theatre leader who is artistically and pedagogically committed and experienced with a career path that demonstrates exceptional abilities in:
- public and internal communications
- team leadership, and
- organizational management.
A working knowledge of the French language would be an asset.
The Artistic Director of the English Section is a full time position, based in Montreal, with full availability between August 15 and June 15. The position comes with a four-year renewable contract. Ideally, the successful candidate will be in the post by October 2012.
Please send a detailed letter of intent with your résumé before September 1, 2012 to Monique Néron at email@example.com or by mail, marked CONFIDENTIAL.