How often do you find your days spent in pursuits that don’t help you reach your goals? Most of us get caught up doing unplanned activities because of frequent interruptions or because we don’t feel inspired to do our creative work.
Planning our days in line with what is important to us—and making decisions that ensure we are on track with our goals—is not just wishful thinking. You can make it happen.
Here are some tips:
1. Create a picture or make a list. Where are you, and what are you doing? Are you alone (perhaps creating or reading)? Are you with other people (maybe meeting with an individual or group who can connect you to some new project)?
2. Divide your activities into three categories. MUST DO today in order to reach my goals/NICE to do today/SCHEDULE for a later date. Focus on the first category.
3. Determine your best time of day for creative energy. Are you an early bird or a night owl? Get to know your own energy rhythms and schedule activities for when you will do your finest job.
4. Give yourself wiggle room. If your schedule is too tight, you won’t be able to learn as much as you can from each experience because you’ll be rushing to get to the next thing. Welcome serendipity into your daily life.
5. Imagine your success. Create a visual image for achieving your goal that will motivate you to work towards it.
6. Savour your accomplishments. Take time to celebrate daily efforts and triumphs. Don’t leave all the partying until you reach the end result.
Are you ready to take control of your day?